
Maybe you have some posters in your apartment, in your house, in your room. These posters show Jessica Alba, Brad Pitt, Jude Law, Madonna, Kurt Cobain, or or or... . But could you imagine having a poster with Angela Merkel on it? Like being a fan of Angela Merkel and to show it by having a poster? I would show my support by voting for her or helping the party during the election campaign. But a poster in my room showing a German politician? Never...
Now think of Barack Obama. I believe it does not surprise you that there are many many posters to find on the internet with Obama on it. But you have to look at them. As I saw them I had to think of movie posters. With a title on it and the "film star" in the middle. And you can find them in a German shop... I think for German people, American politicians are much "cooler" than German ones. German politicians have to be serious, authentic, believable. That does not fit to a poster. A politican cannot be like a filmstar.
But why can Obama be presented like that? Why is there a difference between American and German politicians? I believe you cannot generalize it. It is this kind of "Obamania" in Germany. Obama is lucky: He has that what people call charisma. He is the personification of charisma. And maybe that is the reason of this Obamania. People are fascinated by his appearance and his way to talk. To bring it to the point: Obama inspires people. So maybe it is not a thing of being a German or an American politician, it is a thing of personality...
Picture found on: http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgpp31706+destiny-barack-obama-poster.jpg
Yeah, great start Lena :)
ReplyDeleteI cannot imagine neither a poster of Merkel nor a poster of Obama in my room. First of all, I think posters are stuff for younger people, who read "Bravo" and collect its posters and put it on their wall. Can you imagine a poster if Merkel or Obama in "Bravo"? This is ridiculous. I think, here in Germany, there are only posters of celebrities or "stars" but not of piliticians... but in fact, Obama is such a personality, even a "star", perhaps a poster of him might be possible... perhaps...
Regarding adults, I have never seen a poster of a star or a politicians in an adults' bedroom :)
but you are right, when you say that Obama is much more commercialized than Merkel is ! That's true...
It's really interesting to consider a politician being shown on a poster like Brad Pitt and other film stars you mentioned in your blog post.
ReplyDeleteAgain you can see the difference between the German and American culture according to politics. Never ever would anyone in Germany, not even the greatest fan of the CDU, hang a poster with Angela Merkel on the wall of his room. Thinking of Obama I come to the conclusion that he is much more charismatic than our chancellor and for the Americans, especially for the African-Americans, he is an idol and someone who they believe in. That's why I wouldn't wonder if people in the USA buy posters of Obama.
All in all, I really like the topic of your blog project and you have been very creative in presenting it to us! :)
Do many Germans have Obama parifinalia? You can buy his face on anything and it makes me uncomfortable. Of course during the cammpaigne to show support by having a t-shirt or a sticker on your car, but I know American students with an Obama shirt for everyday of the week and they sill wear them...its not as bad has owning a pair of Obama earrings or a coffee mug with his face on it. However I think it is a kind or rock star idol worship that should not be in Politics.
ReplyDelete-m.schuster